Wellness in the School
Are you a Wellness Ambassador for a school? Here are some ideas:
- Promote healthy eating in classrooms, cafeterias and through communication with parents.
- Work with the schools and the district to provide healthy foods at school. Create and distribute healthy eating materials to students and parents.
- Review existing after-school programs. Research new programs and funding. Survey students and teachers regarding desired activities.
- Coordinate and provide healthy and supervised after school activities for youth.
- Establish peer to peer support groups.
- Identify areas that would be useful to have peer support groups (i.e. substance abuse, healthy relationships). Identify moderators for each support group.
- Implement support groups as an after-school or during school program.
- Provide students information on how to develop skills for coping with peer pressure, substance and alcohol abuse.
- Create brochures and posters and distribute throughout schools and community (involve youth).
- Offer a workshop on healthy relationships.
- Have school staff receive training on healthy relationships. Compile informational resources.
Want more resources?
- Natural Helpers (25 hour training)
- Teck John Baker Youth Leadership Program
- Fourth R
- Let's Move
- Eat Smart Alaska
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation
- Tribal Youth Program
- Teens Action Against Violence (TAAV)