Building Bridges Conversations
((c) 2008, Mary K. Murray Boyd and Jackie Levin)
Powerful Questions for Coming Together in Community
The world desperately needs the richness of everyone’s diverse gifts and talents, fully expressed to be whole and healed. For this to happen, we must build bridges of understanding, crossing the assumptions that keep us separated, misunderstood, undervalued and unappreciated. Appropriate for people of all ages, The Building Bridges Conversation strategy was designed to support the process of courageous conversations by creating a safe and inspiring context for people in community to truly come together and be the peace, the dream, and the change they wish to see in the world.
The world cannot wait for the proactive steps each one of us might take today to move toward the positive changes we wish to see in the world! People are hungry for connection in community and for building positive relationships that nurture and support peace and the greatest good for all. Within The Building Bridges Conversation dedicated time and space create the container for coming together, inviting trust and open, authentic interaction.
The Power of Conversation
Margaret Wheatley reinforces the notion that the bridge-building begins in the conversation when she shares that human conversation is the most ancient and easiest way to cultivate the conditions for change, whether in our personal lives, families, organizations or communities. The Building Bridges Conversation is one place to start the process that gives us the chance to speak, to feel heard and to listen well. And as Wheatly suggests, “If we can sit together and talk about what’s important to us, we begin to come alive.”
Building Bridge Conversations Experience
- Simple, safe, and supported, The Building Bridges Conversation is an easy place to start the process of “coming together.”
- Multi sensory components including sharing our stories, music, movement and self reflection help participants deepen the learning and lock in their experience.
- Facilitated in community to strengthen the connection to The Building Bridges Conversation stake and the commitment to pass it on.
- What is your “Call.” What’s missing in your life? What is it that your heart cries out to contribute? What is the difference that you have been longing to make, the thing that you have been tolerating in the world?” How might Building Bridges Conversations be an important first step to manifesting your life purpose and realizing your dream?
- Every time there is distance between two human beings, an assumption is in the way!” Where do you feel distance in your relationships and what assumptions might be in the way of your ability to be connected?
- What really matters to you…what do you really care about…and why?
- What would you say, talk about or do if you weren’t afraid?
- What’s possible when you open your mind…open your heart?
- What needs to happen now…or next?
- What is your vision…your dream…for yourself…for your family…for the children…for your organization…for your school….for your community?
- What do you really love…are you passionate about?
Powerful Questions for Adults and Youth
- What do you most want to change? (in your school, home, community or in the world)
- If someone would ask you to “Follow your heart” where would you go and/or what would you do?
- What do you think people my age should know about people your age?
- If you could be an expert in one subject, what would that be?
- Who or what are you grateful for?
- Who will you acknowledge today and why?
- What or who are you now willing to accept?
- What’s your greatest challenge at this time?
- Where in your life are you willing and/or ready to say NO or NO MORE?
- What would you do if you weren’t afraid?
- What do you need to remember?
- How can I help you today?
Download a Building Bridges Playbook example. Challenge: Make your own community playbook. Post your powerful questions here!
For more information about Building Bridges Conversations contact the ACT Team.