Well great. You committed to take action. Maybe you set a goal and are thinking about how you are going to make it happen. Now what? Unfortunately, changing habits takes more than setting a goal. It requires that we actually take action and change our behaviors. We have all heard it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. That could be a long 21 days. Thankfully, there are tools out there to help you. Affirmations are positive phrases that are repeated frequently either in your head or out loud which are designed to support you in your efforts to create change in your own life. Affirmations can reshape your thoughts and are designed to counter your negative self-talk. Yes, I know you do it. I am guilty as charged! How often do you tell yourself things like "I am not good enough," "I am too fat," "No one likes me," etc. Affirmations are the antidote to that type of garbage talk.
In order to write effective affirmations you need to have a good sense about what it is you want in your life and what time of person you want to be. So having a goal in mind is a great place to start. Affirmations need to meet five criteria. They should be personal, precise, present, positive, and powerful.
You affirmation needs to have the personal pronouns of I and/or me in them. “I am healing my body.” “ I love my butt”. We can only change ourselves so I makes no sense to have an affirmation about how ‘my boyfriend will do this’ or ‘my mother will understand that’.
Your affirmation needs to be direct and easily understood. Try to get your point across in as few words as possible. You can first start by writing out your desires in detail and then whittle it down to one simple sentence.
Your affirmation needs to read as if it has already manifested in your life. Instead of saying, “I am going to stop eating sugar.” You would want to say “I no longer need sugar”. Writing them in the present triggers your subconscious mind to start implementing them. Change only happens in the present.
Ever come across the old mind trick: Don’t picture a red truck! What is the first thing your brain did? It pictured a red truck. The brain does not understand negatives. Therefore your affirmation needs to be positive. So instead of saying “I am going to stop procrastinating” You would say “I always do my work ahead of time”. Avoid all words such as ‘no’, ‘can’t’, ‘never’, ‘quit’, ‘lose’, etc. You also want to stay away from mentioning the actual problem that you wish to change which can also be negative.
You affirmation should be able to connect to your heart. That is what will give you the impetus to change your daily habits. Find worlds like ‘amazing’, ‘incredible’, ‘passionately’, etc to give your affirmation an extra boost of feeling.
How do you work the affirmation?
So how often do you repeat your affirmation? As often as possible. You have a life time of negative self-talk to overcome. The best times to say them are first thing in the morning and again at night when the subconscious is more receptive. Post your affirmation on your bathroom mirror, put a reminder on your smart phone with your affirmation, post it on the fridge, etc.
Want some examples?
- I know, accept, and am true to myself.
- I believe in, trust, and have confidence in myself.
- I learn from my mistakes.
- I eat well, exercise regularly, and get plenty of rest to enjoy great health.
- I make a difference whenever I can.
- I live in the moment.
- Every day in every way I am getting better and better.
- I am a money magnet and money flows into my life effortlessly.
- I am healthy and strong.
- I live life to the fullest.
WANT TO STOP SMOKING?
- I am smoke free and craving free from nicotine.
- I inhale clean air devoid of cigarette smoke.
- Every day and in every way the amount of nicotine in my body is becoming lesser and lesser and my lungs are becoming cleaner and cleaner.
Want to lose weight?
- I love being physically fit and I am at my ideal weight.
- I love myself unconditionally.
- Every cell in my body is healthy and fit and so am I.
DEAL WITH ANXIETY?
- I am cool, calm, and collected.
- Every cell in my body is relaxed and oozes calmness.
- I love myself deeply and unconditionally.
There are plenty more examples on google to get your started. Feel like sharing? Write your affirmation in the comments below or on facebook!